I love a good dessert square. It’s always been a weakness of mine to see a platter of multi-coloured sweets, and then take a whole handful on a napkin and pretend I didn’t just stuff my face with them. These squares are no different. The mixture of the crumbly graham cracker crust, the rich cream cheese layer, and the florescent lemon yellow pie filling with fluffy whipped cream on top are all the pieces that make this square a winner, and one of my favourites for Spring or Summer events. I whipped up a batch of these (the first time doing it myself!) for Easter supper at my in-laws place. They turned out great, are easy to make, and make a large pan of treats you can share – or hoard for yourself. Hey, I’m not here to judge.
- 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. melted butter
- 2 blocks of softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- 1 pack of Lemon Pie Filling (8 serving size – mine also required 3 egg yolks to prepare)
- Whipping Cream or defrosted Cool Whip
- Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup of sugar, and melted butter until well blended. Then press into the bottom of an 8″ x 11″ pan (or use 9″ x 13″ pan and have thinner squares). Refrigerate.
- Beat softened cream cheese, remaining sugar, and 1/4 cup of milk until well blended. Spread over graham cracker crust. Refrigerate.
- Prepare Lemon Pie Filling as per directions. Once it has cooled down a bit, spread onto cream cheese layer.
- Beat whipping cream with a touch of sugar until fluffy, spread onto lemon layer before serving. Or, spread unthawed Cool Whip onto lemon layer of dessert and refrigerate before serving.
Hope you get a chance to taste these yummy treats! Let me know in the comments if you give them a try, and what you thought of my first recipe post!
(Note: Adapted from Kraft Canada – Creamy Layered Squares)