This week’s blog post is just in time for the upcoming May long weekend. Tis the season for celebrating, enjoying time outside, and delicious foods. Since the summer is my favourite time of the year, and May-long is the official kickoff of the season, I thought it appropriate to share one of my all time favourite entertaining recipes. This spinach dip is incredibly easy to put together, can be personalized to your favourite flavours, and (like many of my other recipes) can be an easy way to make use of the odds and ends in your pantry. As a plus, this recipe is a huge crowd pleaser! I have received so many requests to make this dip for get-togethers, and now its sort of an automatic decision that if I have an event to attend, I’ll tote along my trusty spinach dip. So, here it is!
(Don’t feel like you need to include all the seasonings listed, use what you have, and what tastes good to you!)
- Approximately 1 cup of cooked spinach (I use frozen spinach “nuggets”, enough frozen to fill a cereal bowl and defrost in warm water)
- 1 block softened cream cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise (real mayo)
- 1 cup sour cream (one 250 mL container)
- 2 Tbsp dehydrated minced onion
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 Tbsp sriracha mayo (you can find this in the Asian food aisle)
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 tsp Cholula hot sauce
- 3 dashes each worcestershire sauce and Maggi seasoning
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I usually use Tex-Mex blend, but you can use marblie, cheddar, mozzarella, or a mix!)
Note: I prefer to use 8″ square aluminum cake pans with a lid to put my spinach dip in when I need to bring it somewhere. You can heat it in the pan and pop the lid on and you’re good to go. These are great as well because you don’t have to worry about forgetting your dish anywhere! You can usually find them in the Baking or Home aisle in your local grocery store. And if you’re camping, you can pack the dip up in a few layers of foil, make a packet, and heat it over a campfire!
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo until smooth.
- Add in seasonings, spinach, and shredded cheese and mix well. You can also use onion soup mix, ranch dressing, burger seasoning, etc…
- Put mixture in an oven -proof container (put cheese on top as well if you want!) and bake until cheese is melted. Approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Serve! I like it with baguette rounds, nacho chips or triscuits.
I hope you try out my spinach dip for your special event this summer! It has a wonderful flavour, and is a wonderful mixture of creamy, cheesy, spicy, and salty. It is great warm and cold, and best of all, most everyone loves it. Let me know if you try this dip and give me feedback of your own spin on the recipe! Hope you have a wonderful Sunday and upcoming week. Don’t worry, the long weekend is on the way! 🙂